Fun Things to Do in Los Angeles
This Week (October 2 – 5, 2023)
Train like actor and fitness enthusiast Mark Wahlberg! F45 Chief Brand Officer Mark Wahlberg is excited to present F45 Wahlberg Week. For seven days F45 will offer FREE fitness classes with 45-minute workouts designed by Wahlberg to hit every major muscle group and achieve maximum results. Throughout F45 Wahlberg Week, studios throughout Los Angeles will offer FREE classes to non-members, to allow them to try F45’s high-intensity group workout experience. Free; Monday – Sunday, Various hours and locations
Chef Tal Ronnen’s beloved plant-based destination, Crossroads Kitchen debuts a delicious fall menu at their Melrose and Calabasas locations. In addition to Crossroads signatures, new, seasonal and market-driven offerings are available including Persimmon & Celery Heart Salad with cider soaked raisins, herbs, blue cheese and roasted pecans; Lion’s Man Short Rib Ravioli with madeira glaze, parmesan cheese and chives; Roasted Honey Nut Squash with almond yogurt, black garlic, pomegranate and pumpkin seeds; and Eggplant Short Rib with whipped potatoes and foraged mushrooms bordelaise. Various prices and hours at Melrose and Calabasas locations
In honor of National Adopt a Shelter Dog Month, Yogurtland, your favorite frozen yogurt destination, is bringing Orange County residents the most paw-some way to honor the month with their exclusive pet merchandise collection. With 280+ dogs ready to be adopted at OC Animal Care, there’s never been a better time to treat your furry friend and make a difference in the lives of deserving shelter pups. One hundred percent of the proceeds of Yogurtland treats, bandanas, branded spoons and froyo bowl plush toys will go to OC Animal Care and SPCA of Texas, so locals can feel amazing about providing care and a loving home for the animals right in our backyard. Various prices; available online
Embrace the spooky season in style with our guide to the most thrilling Halloween events in Los Angeles. From haunted mazes and scary thrill rides, to bar crawls, parades, and costume parties, we’ve curated a list of the city’s top attractions that will make Halloween 2023 unforgettable.
Discover the art of sake with the brewers themselves! Join Tsubaki for an exclusive Sake Pairing Dinner with Azuma Ichi (Saga) and Banshu Ikkon (Hyogo) Craftsmen. Get ready for a unique opportunity to connect with the masters behind your favorite sakes, all without leaving LA! Enjoy an intimate communal dining experience at our indoor tables and bar counter, savoring a one-time-only menu crafted to perfection. Reserve your spot now for this extraordinary evening! $175; Tuesday, 7 – 9:30 pm; 1356 Allison Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90026; 213.900.4900
Los Angeles Celebrates National Taco Day With These Fiesta-Worthy National Taco Day Spots and a Fun Santa Monica Taco Bar Crawl!
- Café Gratitude: Café Gratitude’s Venice and Larchmont locations will be previewing the new Bánh Mì Taco ($12) before it officially hits the menu in late October in honor of National Taco Day. The deliciously fun Bánh Mì Taco is made with smoked tofu, Chi Foods Chi-rizo, sriracha mayo, shredded cabbage, pickled carrots and red onion, jalapeño, cilantro, and black and white sesame. Guests can also enjoy the fan-favorite ‘I Am Transformed’ tacos ($10) — think Baja Style with Seaco Fÿsh, pineapple coleslaw, and sriracha mayo, or the Chi Foods Chorizo with fresh avocado and a tomatillo salsa Fresca. Wednesday, Various hours at Venice and Larchmont locations
- Chicas Tacos: Chicas Tacos, home of “A Better Taco,” introduces a NEW vegan/vegetarian Smashburger Taco! In collaboration with Venice based Abbot’s Butcher, the new taco launches on National Taco Day, and will be available at their Culver City and All Season Brewing locations. $5.49; Wednesday, Various hours at the Culver City and All Season Brewing locations
- Gracias Madre: Gracias Madre in West Hollywood and Newport Beach invite taco enthusiasts to indulge in a delectable array of plant-based Mexican cuisine. Opt for options like the Taco Azteca ($20), made with chipotle lentil and Quinoa barbacoa and topped with pickled onions, lettuce, cilantro, ginger lemon aioli, guacamole, and pico de gallo. Guests can also enjoy the Taco Trio ($24.50), taco flights featuring crispy mushroom chicharron, Jackfruit Carnitas, and Chipotle Barbacoa. What pairs better with tacos than a classic margarita? Add Gracias Madre’s Purista Margarita ($17), with your choice of tequila or mezcal, to complement your dining experience. Wednesday, Various hours at the Weho and Newport locations
- Vallarta Supermarkets: Vallarta Supermarkets’ in-store kitchen, La Cocina offers a variety of traditional favorites from Mexico and Central America for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, so customers can stop in for a quick meal or order their favorite foods via Doordash or VallartaGo. To celebrate National Taco Day, customers can order three tacos with any meat of their choosing with the Tacos Al Gusto Plate ($10.39), served with rice and refried beans, a choice of green or red salsa, cilantro, onions, and lime. Taco Chico ($2.89) is Vallarta Supermarkets’ version of street tacos and is served with a choice of green or red salsa, cilantro, onions, and lime. For large parties, customers can order Taquiza #1 ($25.29) which comes with 10 street tacos served with a choice of meat, green or red salsa, limes, onions, and cilantro and serves two to four people. Wednesday, Various hours and locations
- Santa Monica National Taco Day Crawl with Danny Trejo of Trejo’s Tacos and 8 Other Restaurants: In celebration of National Taco Day, Trejo’s Tacos Santa Monica and Downtown Santa Monica will host their second annual Taco Crawl with local Santa Monica restaurants. Starting at 4:00 pm, taco fanatics can head to Trejo’s Tacos to meet Danny Trejo, grab a Taco Crawl punch card, and enjoy free tacos and more (with purchase) at nine Santa Monica restaurants. Guests’ punch cards will grant a free item with purchase at each participating Santa Monica restaurant (listed below). For those who finish the entire crawl, the completed punch card can be used at one of the participating locations to receive the same promotion once more between 10/5 – 10/12. Various prices; Wednesday, 4:00 pm – close; Start the crawl at Trejo’s Tacos – 316 Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90401; 310.393.0622
- Trejo’s Tacos Santa Monica: Free taco with purchase of another taco of equal or lesser value; 316 Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90401; 310.393.0622
- El Cholo: Free taco with purchase of a cocktail (starting at 3:00 pm); 1025 Wilshire Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90401; 310.899.1106
- Blue Plate Taco: Free taco (not including lobster) with purchase of any margarita, cocktail, or frozen drink and an Oceanfront DJ set by @NikoTheBrando from 4 – 8:00 pm.; 1515 Ocean Ave, Santa Monica, CA 90401; 310.458.2985
- Casa Martin: Free taco with a purchase of a cocktail; 1251 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica CA 90401; 424.268.4756
- Sushi Roku: Free sushi taco with the purchase of a specialty cocktail, a glass of wine, or sake; 1401 Ocean Ave, Santa Monica, CA 90401; 310.458.4771
- Lanea: Free taco with cocktail purchase (starting at 6:00 pm); 217 Broadway, Santa Monica, CA 90401; 424.265.7437
- Cabo Cantina Santa Monica: Free chips & salsa with purchase of all-you-can-eat tacos ($9.99); 1240 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica, CA 90401; 310.393.5755
- Jameson’s Pub Santa Monica: Free chips & salsa with purchase of all-you-can-eat tacos ($12.99); 2702 Main St, Santa Monica, CA 90405; 424.330.0069
- Socalo: Free taco (Jackfruit or Baja Fish Taco) with purchase of a cocktail; 1920 Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90404; 310.451.1655
The highly anticipated 11th annual Metropolitan Fashion Week is set to return to The Original Farmers Market Los Angeles (in front of the iconic Clock Tower) for an extraordinary evening of sustainable fashion. This year’s event promises to be a showcase of creativity, talent, and innovation, featuring exclusive sustainable fashion masterpieces from 10 international fashion & costume designers. The highlight of the night will include a captivating Fashion Show by renowned Japanese Fashion & Costume Designer, Saori Mitome, and Celebrity Fashion Designer, Eruvey Tapia of Mexico. In addition to the main show, the event will feature a special presentation by fashion designer Ariel Clarks, who will unveil her astonishing 6,000 straws fashion masterpiece gown, highlighting the significance of sustainable fashion in today’s world. Another not-to-be-missed moment will be the tribute to the remarkable talent of Ukrainian designer Asya Kozina, Metropolitan Fashion Week 2022, 2nd Place, for her awe-inspiring world architecture masterpiece. Inspiration: House with Chimaeras Building in Kyiv, Ukraine. Free; Thursday, 6 – 7:00 pm; 66333 W 3rd St, Los Angeles, CA 90036; 323.933.9211
The OC Auto Show and SoCal Electrified Ride Experience are gearing up to take over the Anaheim Convention Center. In collaboration with National Drive Electric Week, this event promises to be a thrilling showcase of the automotive industry’s latest innovations and technologies. 800 W Katella Ave, Anaheim, CA 92802; 714.765.8950
Here’s a sneak peek of what attendees can expect:
- Diverse Vehicles: The event will feature hundreds of new cars, trucks, crossovers, SUVs, electric vehicles, and even exotics. Attendees can explore the latest 2024-model vehicles in a non-selling environment.
- SoCal Electrified Ride Experience: Immerse yourself in a massive indoor EV test track and EV learning center. Experience the thrill of all-electric vehicles from renowned brands like Cadillac, Ford, Hyundai, Kia, Nissan, Volvo, and Volkswagen, with professional drivers showcasing their quick acceleration and impressive performance. BMW will also offer outdoor EV test drives.
- Off-Road Adventures: Professional 4×4 drivers will take you on a thrilling off-road test track at Camp Jeep®.
- Family-Friendly Fun: Enjoy driving simulators, a scavenger hunt, photo opportunities, and more for the little ones.
Pasadena Magazine is thrilled to announce the debut of its highly anticipated culinary event, the Taste of Pasadena 2023! “The Taste of Pasadena is not merely another event; it is an immersive celebration of culinary excellence, culture, and community,” says Malina Saval, Editor-In-Chief for Pasadena Magazine.“ This event promises an unforgettable evening of delectable experiences, featuring unlimited tastings from top chefs and renowned restaurants spanning the San Gabriel Valley and beyond.” Guests can look forward to a wide array of culinary offerings, handcrafted cocktails, live music, and captivating experiences that will engage and delight every guest. $60 – $100; 10/6, 7 – 9:30 pm; Pasadena Convention Center – 300 E. Green St., Pasadena, CA 91101
The Bourbon Room welcomes you to witness the hilarious and witty must-see musical satire, 44 – THE unOFFICIAL, unSANCTIONED OBAMA MUSICAL (Told Through the Hazy Recollection of Joe Biden). The limited, 20-show engagement is the brainchild of Eli Bauman, a former Obama campaign organizer and TV writer who wrote the music, lyrics, and book and also directs the show. Some of the songs were co-written with his father, Jon “Bowzer” Bauman of the ‘70s group Sha Na Na, as well as band leader, music director, and music co-producer, Anthony “Brew” Brewster who fronts the show’s live band. 44 stars T.J. Wilkins (NBC’s The Voice) as Barack Obama and Shanice (Award-winning R&B artist – I Love Your Smile and OWN’s Flex & Shanice) as Michelle Obama. $44 – $88; 10/11 – 11/18, various hours; The Bourbon Room – 6356 Hollywood Blvd 2nd floor, Los Angeles, CA 90028; 213.667.4233
The Palm Los Angeles and Beverly Hills present an evening with JUSTIN Vineyards & Winery. On Thursday, 10/12, embark on a journey of wine appreciation with knowledgeable experts as they guide you through a four-course menu with perfect pairings of JUSTIN Winery’s award-winning wines. Start with Spiedini (shrimp skewers with merguez sausage, red pepper feta sauce) before moving on to Carpaccio (filet mignon topped with green peppercorn aioli, horseradish gremolata, capers, parmesan cheese, micro basil), and then Cacciucco (seafood stew with black cod, shrimp, clams, calamari, garlic bread). The third course features Porchetta (Tuscan-style rolled pork roasted for six hours and served with radicchio salad, herb-roasted potatoes, and creamed spinach). Your meal ends with Affogato (vanilla gelato topped with espresso soda, caffè borghetti liqueur, caramelized walnuts, semi-sweet chocolate shavings, and whipped cream). Enjoy! $169; 10/12, 7:00 pm; The Palm Los Angeles and The Palm Beverly Hills
MÍRATE, Los Feliz’s bar-focused and ingredient driven California-Mexican restaurant, will host Los Angeles’ inaugural Festival de Vino Mexicano. Offering a lineup of wine tastings, seminars and food collaborations, the three-day event will bring together chefs and vintners from Mexico and Baja California to celebrate Mexico’s widely diverse culture, wine, and food. Plus, a portion of ticket sale proceeds will be donated to This is About Humanity. $125+; 10/13 – 10/15, Various hours; 1712 N Vermont Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90027
As part of their ongoing pop-up dinner series, Café Gratitude invites guests to Venice for an enchanting evening with celebrity chef and author Priyanka Naik on Wednesday, 10/18. Café Gratitude’s Executive Chef Dreux Ellis and Chef Priyanka have curated a four-course, entirely plant-based, Indian-fusion dinner that will be served al fresco on the restaurant’s warm and inviting outdoor patio accompanied by live acoustic music. Celebrate the spirit of India with dishes like an Amuse-Bouche, made with Chaat Masala, spicy tomato chutney, and herbed coconut cream. Followed by a Tamarind Tofu Bánh Mì, with a herby cucumber carrot slaw, sriracha mayo, and tamarind tofu on a toasted baguette. Lastly, a Mango Mousse Parfait for dessert. $130 (with a $20 gift card redeemable at any Café Gratitude location) and $150 (with a copy of Chef Priyanka’s cookbook, The Modern Tiffin, and an intimate book signing by Chef Priyanka and a $20 gift card, redeemable at any Café Gratitude location); 10/18, 7 – 10:00 pm; 512 Rose Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90291; 424.231.8000
*FOR FUN THINGS TO DO IN LOS ANGELES THIS WEEKEND, CHECK BACK ON FRIDAY!*