Los Angeles Weekend Roundup
The Association Hosts Battle of Tequilas
Calling all tequila lovers! DTLA favorite The Association is hosting a weekly series of tequila tastings starting tonight! The Association invites you every Friday evening to Sips & Sweets, an interactive blind tequila tasting featuring 3 premium tequilas. $25; Friday, 9:30 pm; 110 E 6th St., Los Angeles, CA 90014; 866.687.4499
L.A. Celebrates Dry January and Veganuary
What is Dry January?
After overindulging between Thanksgiving and New Year’s, Dry January is the month designated to cleansing our bodies of alcohol, resetting and starting the new year off right. Health benefits include a clearer complexion, weight loss, liver recovery, and better sleep. It goes hand in hand with Veganuary.
What is Veganuary?
Observed during January, Veganuary is a challenge to cleanse our bodies of meat and go vegan for the month. Health benefits include lowering your blood pressure, improved digestion, weight loss, and reducing your risk of stroke.
Join the challenge and head to these L.A. restaurants (along with a few brands) offering Dry January mocktails and Veganuary specials.
- Birdie G’s: Birdie G’s welcomes you to enjoy mocktails during Dry January. Bar Manager Stephanie Reading has expanded the Non-Alcoholic and Low ABV Cocktail menu this month with drinks like Reaching for the Cosmos – reminiscent of a Cosmopolitan with Monday’s zero-alcohol “gin,” lemon, cranberry, rosemary, vanilla & a splash of soda, Bird of Paradise – gives off tropical vibes with passion fruit, lemon, orgeat, honey, Abstinence’s Blood Orange Bittersweet “aperitif,” Monday’s “mezcal” & a splash of soda, She’s a Peach – showcases Monday’s “whiskey” with lime, peach, kumquat, Szechuan honey & soda water, and Low-Groni – a low ABV Negroni featuring Lo-Fi Sweet Vermouth, Abstinence’s Blood Orange Bittersweet “aperitif,” Monday’s “gin” & Barr Hill’s Tom Cat Gin. Wine Director Nina Granados is also popping open some fun, non-alcoholic wines, like Leitz’s Eins Zwei Zero’s Sparkling Riesling and NON’s sparkling wines in wild flavors, such as Lemon Marmalade & Hibiscus and Caramelised Pear & Kombu. Various prices; Sundays – Thursdays, 5 – 9:00 pm and Fridays – Saturdays, 5 – 9:30 pm; 2421 Michigan Ave., Santa Monica, CA 90404; 310.310.3616
- Esters: Esters serves mocktails for Dry January. In addition to non-alcoholic riffs on classic Penicillins and French 75s, Bar Manager Jonah Atkins has expanded the Mocktail offerings with new drinks, like the Herbal Remedy – featuring Clean’s non-alcoholic “gin,” rosemary syrup & fresh lemon juice, and the Ghia Gimlet – showcasing Ghia Ginger, sage syrup & fresh lime juice. Various prices; Mondays – Saturdays, 12 – 10:00 pm and Sundays, 12 – 9:00 pm; 1314 Seventh St., Santa Monica, CA 90401; 310.899.6900
- NON: Love Lambrusco, then you will love NON, a booze-free wine alternative that just launched. Resembling Lambrusco’s tart and spicy taste, NON blends ingredients such as sour cherry, cold-brewed coffee, and garam masala to mimic the acid, tannins, and spice found in some red wines. Check out these pairings and recipes. $29+; Available online at NON
- SANS: We had to mention SANS, the first Asian-themed alcohol alternative, mixer, and health beverage created by Kevin Kreider from Netflix’s Bling Empire. Infused with adaptogens like ginseng to boost your brain and L-Theanine to level up your focus, SANS is a “conversational beverage…, that encourages you to “be a part of the Buzz, without the Booze.” This non-alcoholic drink is perfect for parties, outdoor events, and chilling at home. $49.99 (12 pack); Available online at SANS
- Café Gratitude: Start the new year by ditching meat and joining Veganuary at Café Gratitude! The beloved plant-based restaurant is offering a juice cleanse (available 1/9) and a chef-prepared, plant-based Meal Plan with a rotating menu. Highlights include: ‘I am Patient’ made with Ginger Turmeric Overnight Oats and Mixed Berries, ‘I am Gracious’ a Keto Cauliflower Rice Salad made with Arugula, Edamame, Avocado, Tomato Confit & Green Goddess Dressing, and ‘I am Terrific’ Almond Pad Thai Noodles made with sautéed Kale and smoked Tofu. In addition, some favorite meal plan add-ons include Superfood Green Hummus, Broccoli Miso Bisque, Probiotic Beet Tahini, and more! Take the thought out of prepping and order Café Gratitude’s 3-day or 6-day meal plan – available for pick-up or delivery! Various prices, hours, and locations
- Everytable: For Veganuary, mission-driven food company Everytable is serving an array of new Superfood Bowls, including the beautiful Rainbow Antioxidant Bowl ($6.95-$8.55). This vegan-friendly bowl is made with black lentils, shredded superfoods slaw, avocado, red beets, sweet red & yellow peppers, roasted sweet potatoes, and a pomegranate-beet vinaigrette. The new Superfood Bowls are convenient, affordable, and filled with nutrient-rich ingredients that have been shown to have broad health benefits, from fighting cancer to increasing energy, maintaining weight, reducing stress, and improving immunity – the perfect start to a rejuvenating 2023 that won’t burn a hole in the wallet! $6.95 – $8.55; Various hours and locations
- Gracias Madre WeHo: Gracias Madre WeHo’s vegan-friendly meals are perfect for those Angelenos looking to fulfill their healthy New Year’s resolutions. Executive Chef Diana Briscoe has prepared vegan dishes such as a refreshing Elissa Goodman Taco Salad ($19) made with walnut & quinoa taco mix, romaine, shredded cabbage, cherry tomatoes, and a lemon thyme vinaigrette, or try some mouth-watering favorites like the Mushroom Quesadilla ($19) made with plenty of mozzarella, roasted garlic mushrooms, spinach, and house Tapatio, or warm up with the Caldo De Huitlacoche ($26) made with vegetable broth, roasted mushrooms, corn, huitlacoche, crispy tortilla strips, avocado, and Aleppo pepper. 8905 Melrose Ave., West Hollywood, CA 90069; 323.978.2170
- Trejo’s Coffee & Donuts: Trejo’s Coffee & Donuts guarantees everyone’s Veganuary will be sweet this year with Danny Trejo’s deliciously raised vegan donuts. The vegan flavors include the Vegan O.G., AKA the classic glazed donut; the Vegan Berry, a vegan cake donut made with banana, almond milk, raspberry, and blueberry; and the Vegan Cinnamon Crumb, a classic glazed donut with cinnamon crumble. Various prices; Mondays – Sundays, 7:00 am – 4:00 pm; 6785 Santa Monica Blvd., Los Angeles, CA, 90038; 323.462.4600
- Tulsi Indian Eatery: Tulsi Indian Eatery is offering 20% off vegan dishes (ask upon ordering at the counter) for Veganuary. Tulsi takes guests on a culinary tour of regional Indian dishes, including Northern Indian dishes like the Plant Based Kheema Samosas ($8), Aloo Paratha ($7), and Poori Bhaji ($7); dishes from the Southern Indian region like Idli Sambar ($7) and Vada ($8); and Western Indian dishes such as Pav Bhaji ($8), Bombay Bhel ($6), and Lilva Petis ($6). In addition to the regional cuisines, Tulsi’s Masala Chai ($3) and Tandoori Roti ($2.50) are also fit for a vegan diet. Various hours and locations
Hollywood True Crime and Haunted Tales Walking Tour
Obsessed with Hollywood true crime? Are you enamored by the dark secrets of tinsel town? Then this immersive event is for you! “Explore Hollywood and uncover the secrets of this world famous neighborhood,” on the Hollywood True Crime and Haunted Tales walking tour. The evening will be filled with stories of paranormal activities, gruesome crimes, and serial killings. The tour includes The Pantages Theatre and Howard Hughes, the Suicide at the Hollywood Sign, The Hollywood Ripper and Manson Murders, The Roosevelt Hotel (home to Marilyn Monroe and many more Hollywood spirits), and much more! The 2-hour walking tour begins at the Pantages Theatre and ends near the Hollywood and Highland Metro entrance at 6815 Hollywood Blvd. $35; Friday – Sunday, 6 – 8:00 pm; Hollywood Pantages Theatre – 6233 Hollywood Boulevard Los Angeles, CA 90028; 323.468.1700
Luminarias Welcomes You to Weekend Brunch
Luminarias is bringing back its beloved weekend brunch, reinvented! The once brunch buffet is no more. Guests can look forward to a brand new menu featuring à la carte favorites like the Beef Birria Empanadas, Guacamole with chicharrónes, Crispy Brussel Sprouts, or Black Bean Hummus. There is a Build-Your-Own Charcuterie Station, where guests can curate a board by selecting meats and cheese sourced from local and international purveyors, and the expansive Raw Bar offering items like Peruvian Ceviche and a showstopping Seafood Tower. Other items include Fried Chicken & Waffles, French Toast with cognac roasted golden apples, Crushed Avocado Tartine and Brunch Burger, Luminarias’ signature Crab Huevos Rancheros, Seafood Pasta, grilled Salmon BLT, and Double Patty Smash Burger. Combine your meal with fresh air, and sweeping views of DTLA and the San Gabriel Valley, and you have the perfect weekend brunch! Various prices; Saturdays – Sundays, 11:00 am – 3:00 pm; 3500 W. Ramona Blvd., Monterey Park, CA 91754; 323.268.4177
Midday Happy Hour at Rápido Food & Wine
Midday Happy Hour at Rápido is back every Saturday. Today, Pat from Della Corte (Focaccia and Taralli) will be at Rápido serving up sandwiches on his beloved focaccia and his panzarotti (deep-fried pockets of dough with fillings). The Rápido team will also be doling out FREE samples of Focaccia Bites topped with tinned fish and schmears. Naturally, their selection of wine is the perfect accompaniment to all of this. Various prices; Saturdays, 1 – 3:00 pm; 3707 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90026; 323.546.0505
Esters Hosts Dry January Non-Alcoholic Wine Tasting
It’s a mocktail party at Esters Dry January Sunday Tasting! Sommelier Randall Middleton is pouring three different non-alcoholic wines from Proxies, like their Zephyr Rosé and Vinta Orange, while bar manager Jonah is mixing up tasty mocktails and spritzes made from non-alcoholic line, Ghia. Reps from Proxies and Ghia will be on hand to share more about their awesome drinks. The tasting also includes a Mini Market Plate with crudité & dip. $25; Sunday, 3 – 6:00 pm; 1314 Seventh St., Santa Monica, CA 90401; 310.899.6900