It’s Halloween weekend and the perfect time for a horror movie marathon. Whether you’re cozying up on the couch to celebrate, or throwing a killer bash, here’s a list of 8 of our favorite horror movies and signature cocktail pairings to conjure up a night of terror and spine-tingling fun.
The Autopsy of Jane Doe: A father and son team of coroners, become entangled in a terrifying mystery while performing an autopsy on a mysterious young woman. Available on Amazon Prime Video/Apple TV/Sling TV/Vudu.
- 2 c. Apricot nectar
- 1/2 c. Fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 c. Fresh lime juice
- 1/2 c. Fresh orange juice
- Sparkling wine, for serving
- Citrus zest, for serving
- Instructions: In measuring cup, stir together apricot nectar and fresh lemon juice, fresh lime juice, and fresh orange juice. Divide between 2 ice cube trays and freeze. Fill glasses with cubes and top with sparkling wine. If desired, serve with twists of citrus zest.
Halloween/Halloween (2018)/Halloween Kills: Michael Myers escapes from a mental hospital and returns to his hometown to wreak havoc on Halloween night. Available on Amazon Prime Video/AMC/AMC+/Peacock (Halloween Kills)/Sling TV/Vudu.
Death in the Afternoon
- 1/4 to 1/2 oz. Absinthe OR Whiskey
- 4 oz. Chilled Champagne or other sparkling wine
- Instructions: Pour absinthe/whiskey into a glass, and top with Champagne.
The Conjuring/The Conjuring 2: Real life married couple/paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren fight demons and evil spirits for the souls of the innocent. Available on HBO/HBO Max/Netflix.
The Ghost Rider
- 1 1/2 oz. El Sativo Reposado
- Dashfire Hibiscus Bitters
- 1 oz homemade Ghost Pepper Agave Syrup (50/50 agave nectar and water infused overnight with one bruised ghost or chili pepper
- Instructions: Shake ingredients and strain over a glass with one large ice cube. Garnish with sliced pepper.
- This spooky version of the beloved Old Fashioned hails from Riviera 31 Bar & Lounge’s Director of Nightlife and cocktail creator, Aidan Demarest. Demarest and his team will be serving this libation at Riviera 31 Bar & Lounge at the Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills – 8555 Beverly Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90048; 310.770.1654
Fear Street Trilogy: Based on the classic young adult book series by R.L. Stine, this trilogy features 80s and 90s nostalgia and a kick-ass soundtrack. Available on Netflix.
Good and Evil Cocktail
- 1 oz. Vodka
- 1 oz. ApplePucker
- 1 oz. Midori
- 1 oz. Triple Sec
- 1 Handful ice
- Pineapple juice
- Sprite/Sierra Mist
- Lemon slice, for garnish
- Instructions: Combine vodka, ApplePucker, Midori, and Triple Sec in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake. Pour the mixture into a cocktail glass, then top with pineapple juice and soda. Garnish with a slice of lemon (optional).
The Babysitter/The Babysitter Killer Queen: A shy young boy discovers more than he bargained for when he decides to spy on his babysitter. Available on Netflix.
- 2 oz. Spicy Tamarind Smirnoff Vodka
- 1/2 oz. Lime juice
- 1/2 oz. Agave syrup
- 1/2 oz. Passion fruit
- Instructions: Shake with ice. Serve in a martini glass with a Tajin rim and garnish with a slice of spicy dried mango.
- This spicy drink will also be served by Director of Nightlife/cocktail creator, Aidan Demarest and his team at Riviera 31 Bar & Lounge at the Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills – 8555 Beverly Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90048; 310.770.1654
Army of the Dead: Ocean’s 11 meets The Walking Dead in this zombie heist film. Available on Netflix.
Risen From the Grave
- 3 oz. Absolut Citron vodka
- 2 oz. St. Germain
- 1 Handful ice
- 1/4 oz. Strawberry puree
- Strawberry and mint leaf (for garnish)
- Instructions: Combine the vodka and St. Germain in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake. Pour strawberry puree into the bottom of a martini glass. Top with the vodka-St. Germain combination. Garnish drink with a strawberry and a mint leaf.
Trick ‘r Treat: Anna Paquin stars in this tale of five clever horror short stories that come together on a terrifying Halloween night. Available on AMC/AMC+
- 1.5 oz. Volcan Reposado
- .5 oz. Bigallet China-China
- .5 oz. Agave Nectar (2:1)
- .5 oz.Lime Juice
- .75oz Blood Orange Puree
- Orange peel
- Cinnamon stick
- Instructions: Serve in sour coupe glass garnished with orange peel + cinnamon. Combine in a shaker with ice and shake well. Fine strain into a sour coupe and garnish.
- This ghoulish cocktail is also being served at the Lobby Bar ($20) at the West Hollywood EDITION – 9040 W. Sunset Blvd., West Hollywood, CA 90069; 310.953.9899
Children of the Corn: Stephen King’s classic tale of creepy kids will make you think twice the next time you decide to veer off the highway and take the scenic route. Available on Hulu.
- .75oz. El Tesoro Blanco
- .75oz. Bruxo Mezcal
- .75oz. Marigold syrup
- .5oz Lime juice
- .5oz Blood orange juice
- Marigold for garnish
- Instructions: Serve in rocks glass rimmed with salt and garnish with marigolds. Combine all ingredients in a tin and add ice, shake and strain into a rocks glass that is rimmed with the salt. Add fresh ice and garnish.
- This skull crushing drink is also being served at Broken Shaker ($14) at Freehand Los Angeles – 416 W. 8th St., Los Angeles, CA 90014; 213.612.0021
Need ideas for snacks and food to complete your Halloween movie marathon? Check out these 3 local L.A. foodie destinations.
Full Proof Pizza: Pizza and horror movies go hand in hand. Full Proof Pizza’s New York-style pies are the perfect addition to any Halloween movie binge or party. Available for takeout or delivery. $23+; Wednesday – Sunday, 5 – 10:00 pm; 11918 W. Washington Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90066; 424.384.5097
Huckleberry Bakery & Café: The Haunted House Kit ($65) comes with a mixture of organic and plant-based candies, sprinkles, icing, chocolate cookies and is available to pre-order until October 31st. The Fall Cookie Decorating Kit ($18) includes 4 chocolate acorn cookies, vanilla icing and plant-based decorations and is available until November 14th. Both kits are available for pickup with 24 hours’ notice. 1014 Wilshire Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90401; 310.451.2311