Things to Do Memorial Day Weekend (May 26, 2023 – May 29, 2023)
DTLA Urban Oasis Hotel Figueroa Kicks Off the Season with Elevated New Poolside Menu, DJ Sessions, and Salon-Style Suite
Ready, set…Summer! There’s no better way to kick off the season than at one of the country’s hottest hotels and most idyllic summer destinations, DTLA’s award-winning urban oasis, Hotel Figueroa. Various prices; 939 S Figueroa St, Los Angeles, CA 90015; 213.627.8971
- La Casita: Hotel Figueroa’s transportive Spanish and Mediterranean-inspired two-story villa and cocktail lounge overlooking the iconic coffin-shaped pool, is now offering a refreshed new coastal-inspired menu with ingredient-forward, organic fare alongside a world-class hand-crafted cocktail program & expansive agave list. Highlights include Ceviche, Chicken Al Pastor Tacos, Short Rib Nachos: Margaritas (Watermelon, Strawberry, Mango, Passionfruit, and Mezcal), Jaguar (Roasted Pineapple Goslings, Pulque, Campari, Lime Pineapple, Simple Syrup), and Pina Colada.
- Poolside Sessions: La Casita also announces poolside sessions, a weekend event hosting DJs poolside. Saturdays – Sundays, 2 – 6:00 pm , and nighttime sessions Fridays – Saturdays, 9:00 am – 2:00 pm
- 2023 Featured Artist Series: In Her Image: Hotel Figueroa will offer an immersive escape into its own storied history through the launch of its newest specialty suite, a 1920’s inspired salon-style Featured Artist Suite by the hotel’s 2023 Featured Artist, Erica Everage.
This Memorial Day Weekend, Skybar invites you to get undressed and party for four days at their sexy West Hollywood oasis. Spend the long weekend soaking up the sun and taking in the views as you mix, mingle, and indulge in cocktails and poolside fun. Various prices; Friday – Monday, various hours; Mondrian Los Angeles – 8440 Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90069; 323.848.6030
- Ditch Fridays: Ditch work Friday and Kick-Off Memorial Day Weekend in the pool at Skybar. Free entry at the doorman’s discretion and bottle service; Friday, 1 – 6:00 pm
- Deep House Brunch Pool Party: $35 – $2,500 and bottle service ; Saturday, 1 – 7:00 pm
- Summer Lodge Pool Party: $25 – $2,500 and bottle service; Sunday, 1 – 7:00 pm
- Made In Tulum Pool Party: $0 – $100 and bottle service; Monday, 12- 7:00 pm
Following their incredibly successful, three-day multi-course dinner series with Chef Mads Refslund, the Aster Member’s Club and Hotel is pleased to announce the next two participants in their invigorating culinary pop-up series: Food as Art. From Friday – Sunday esteemed Chef Alvaro Clavijo will bring his avant-garde twist on classic Latin American flavors to Los Angeles in the form of a five-course dinner at The Aster. Following Clavijo will be culinary pioneer Chef Najat Kaanache, who will serve her exquisite Moroccan-inspired cuisine from 6/24 – 6/26. $150+; Friday – Sunday and 6/24 – 6/26; 6:00 pm; Lemon Grove (The Aster) – 1717 Vine St., Los Angeles, CA 90028; 323.962.1717
Sophisticated, classic steakhouse Mastro’s welcomes you to a luxury dining experience over the Memorial Day Weekend. Guests can enjoy specials including the limited-time only Blueberry Lemon Buttercake, Caviar Twice Baked Potato, and cocktail specials including the Bee Sting and Belle Glos Wine Flight. Various prices and hours (through 5/31); Beverly Hills and Downtown Los Angeles locations
For the hot and sunny Memorial Day Weekend, head over to Tulsi Indian Eatery located in Northridge, DTLA and Westwood. Kick off the summer with savory bites, including Tulsi’s Vada Pav Sandwich ($8), a two-piece, spiced potato dumpling sandwich topped with a masala mix, Tulsi’s special garlic chutney, and served with house-made masala fries and salad. The best part? The Vada Pav as well as many items on Tulsi Indian Eatery’s menu are vegan, gluten-free, and nut-free — perfectly accommodating for large group celebrations. Those looking to honor the holiday with a relaxing meal at home can order the Vada Pav for pickup or delivery. Friday – Monday, Various hours and locations
Renowned Los Angeles bar proprietor Jared Meisler (The Roger Room, Bar Lubitsch, The Friend and The Little Friend) and the exemplary team of David and Patti Reiss of Reiss Co. (The Brig and The Alibi Room) announce the opening of a new westside cocktail establishment, GIN RUMMY. The cocktail program is masterfully led by Beverage Directors Danilo Kim, formerly of The Alibi Room and Nueva and Marcus Ragas, whose resume includes The Chestnut Club and Caboco. GIN RUMMY invites passersby to escape to the tropics and get swept away, sipping exotic cocktails while enjoying delicious snacks in a pirate’s lair. The spacious 200-seat setting reimagined and designed by Jared Meisler creates a colorful and ornate island paradise marrying nautical and South Pacific themes with contemporary design. $14+; Mondays – Fridays, 4:00 pm – 2:00 am, Saturdays – Sundays, 12:00 pm – 2:00 am, and Happy Hour: 4 – 6:00 pm nightly; 822 Washington Blvd, Venice, CA 90292; 310.747.6050
With a rich tradition spanning over 60 years, the Garden Grove Strawberry Festival returns Memorial Day weekend. The festival pays tribute to the city’s agricultural heritage and history with a vibrant celebration dedicated to the beloved strawberry. Free entry; Friday, 1 – 10:00 pm, Saturday – Sunday, 10:00 am – 10:00 pm, and Monday, 10:00 am – 9:00 pm; Village Green Park – 12732 Main St, Garden Grove, CA 92840
Some highlights include:
- Strawberry Shortcake Grand Opening Ceremony
- Live music performances, local vendors, and fun contests
- Carnival rides and attractions for all ages
- Parade featuring celebrities, elected officials, bands, equestrians, and more
Looking to get out of town for Memorial Day Weekend? Exploring California is an unforgettable experience, with endless opportunities for adventure and discovery, many of which are within a few hours’ drive of the main metropolitan areas – San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego. From the sun-kissed beaches of Southern California to the rugged coastline of Big Sur, the state is home to a diverse range of landscapes and destinations. So whether you’re looking to hike through California’s national parks, indulge in world-class cuisine, or simply soak up the laid-back California lifestyle, there’s something for everyone. With its year-round sunshine, stunning scenery, and endless possibilities for exploration, California truly has it all.
Memorial Day Weekend Pop-Up: Arepas, Wine, Tattoos, Vintage Clothes + DJ at Evil Twin & Hotcakes Bakes
Kick off the three-day weekend with a special Memorial Day pop-up event. Culver City’s joint bakery and wine bar Evil Twin and Hotcakes Bakes welcome you to an afternoon of wine, food, fashion, and fun. Enjoy arepas from Kitchen El Camino, shop vintage clothing from vendors Bad Will Vintage & Selling Garbage, get some new ink from Stick & Poke Tattoo artist Blake VanAmersfoorth, listen to live DJ vinyl set from DJ LITO, all while sipping natural wines and dining on delectable desserts. Free entry; Saturday, 2 – 7:00 pm; Hotcakes Bakes & Evil Twin’s Patio – 4119 S Centinela Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90066; 310.397.2324
Throw on those top hats and monocles, the 8th Annual MAINopoly: Taste of Main Street returns Memorial Day Weekend! This all-ages event is an interactive twist on the classic board game that offers a culinary tasting tour of Santa Monica’s popular Main Street, allowing attendees to exchange “MAINopoly dollars” for tastings at restaurants, bars, and eateries. Stop by the “Go to Jail” VIP Beer Garden and complete your official game board for the chance to win a Taste of Main Street Prize Pack with $1,000+ in prizes. Each ticket includes tastings at 20 locations including Ashland Hill, Holey Grail Donuts, Alfalfa, JuneShine, Library Alehouse, Stella Barra Pizzeria & Wine Bar, Jameson’s Pub, Tavern on Main, The Victorian, Papille Gustative, Pasjoli, Ubatuba Acai, and more! $15 – $450; Saturday, 1 – 5:00 pm; Check In at The Victorian – 2640 Main St. Santa Monica, CA 90405
Join graffiti artists Dytch66 & the CBS Crew for an incredible Star Wars Takeover experience at the world-famous graffiti walls on Melrose! Prepare to embark on a journey to a galaxy far, far away as they unveil a spectacular Star Wars installation, brought to life by the creative genius of over 20 talented artists. Tour the block of Melrose & Poinsettia, where imagination meets artistry in an epic display of Star Wars-themed graffiti. This event promises to be a treat for fans of all ages, as you can all celebrate the iconic franchise that has captured hearts around the globe. But that’s not all! Dytch66 and the CBS Crew are thrilled to announce that there will be special guest appearances from the actors of Star Wars, adding an extra touch of stardust to their event. Rub shoulders with your favorite stars and create memories that will last a lifetime. So Cosplayers, dust off your favorite Star Wars costumes and embrace your inner Jedi, Sith, droid, or Wookiee. as you let your imagination soar and immerse yourself in the rich tapestry of this beloved universe. Free; Saturday, 12 – 3:00 pm; 7327 Melrose Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90046
One of Los Angeles’ top vegan restaurants — Café Gratitude — is a definite hit for the Memorial Day Weekend. For guests who wish to take a break from the heavy BBQ celebrations, Café Gratitude offers a clean, plant-based brunch menu with a wide selection featuring their sweet and savory menu items, bakery, juices, tonics and teas. Café Gratitude is sure to satisfy the heart and stomachs of those hungry for a refreshing start to their Memorial Day morning, with menu items such as the “I AM HEARTY” Housemade Tofu Scramble ($16.75) and the “I AM RENEWED” Antioxidant Blue Bowl ($16.50). Pair with some brunch cocktails and wellness juice shots to kickstart that refreshing summer-feeling or a Gratitude Fiero Spritz ($13) crafted with prosecco, martini & rossi fiero vermouth, soda, and orange. Saturdays – Sundays, 9:00 am – 1:00 pm; various locations
Memorial Day Weekend is the best time to visit West Hollywood’s chic plant-based traditional Mexican eatery. To be enjoyed on one of West Hollywood’s favorite patios, Gracias Madre presents their weekend brunch menu highlighting housemade brunch items with a traditional Mexican twist. Try the Crepas Mexicanas ($18) for the sweet tooth, or the Ranchero Bowl ($22) for a savory combination of garlic oyster mushrooms and chimichurri. Head on over to the Gracias Madre’s bar dedicated to diffuser-free agave spirits to discover new small batch distillers in Mexico with refreshing, cool-down cocktails such as Beverage Director Sean Steart’s new Raspado “Shaved Ice” cocktails ($18)! The Gracias Madre weekend brunch menu is available all weekend long and extends to Memorial Day! Saturdays – Monday, 11:00 am – 3:00 pm; 8905 Melrose Ave., West Hollywood, CA 90069; 949.386.8100
Here in LA, booze and brunch go together like peas and carrots. Whether you want Waffles, Eggs, or Avocado Toast, nothing complements your meal like an ice-cold cocktail, especially if that glass is endless. But where can you find these brunches with bottomless cocktails and tasty bites? Don’t stress; I got you. I’m here to give you a list of the best bottomless brunches in Los Angeles. So all you have to do is grab a cute brunch outfit and your date, and get ready to indulge in fun, good food, and drinks. Cheers!
Beach goers can head to Trejo’s Tacos Santa Monica and pick up tacos, burritos, and bowls for that savory and sunshine-filled Memorial Day Weekend beach picnic. Menu highlights include Danny Trejo’s favorite Beef Barbacoa Burrito ($15.50), Breakfast Burrito ($13), Blackened Salmon Taco ($7.25), and Chicken Tinga Bowl ($14.50). And for a beach day cool-down, Trejo’s offers refreshing Agua Frescas made with hibiscus tea or pineapple and lime. Trejo’s Tacos Santa Monica invites guests to step off the sand and stock up on Mexican-inspired eats for the entire Memorial Day party. Guests are able to order online for pickup or delivery. Fridays – Saturdays, 11:00 am – 900 pm, and Sundays – Thursdays, 11:00 am – 8:00 pm; 316 Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90401; 310.3930622
You’re invited to LA’s newest and hottest rooftop dayclub and pool party. Perched on top of LA’s newest, luxury hotel, The Godfrey Hollywood, this exclusive event will feature an international lineup of world leading DJ’s, swimwear designs and models provided by SLAY, as well as makeup artists, who will be providing Tulum-Style face Jewels and decorations for anyone who wishes to join in. The theme is St. Tropez Beach Club, so dress to impress! Free with RSVP; Sunday, 2 – 7:00 pm; The Godfrey Hollywood – 1400 Cahuenga Boulevard Los Angeles, CA 90028; 323.762.1000
Hank’s Celebrates National Hamburger Day This Memorial Day Weekend With A Special Burger Combo Deal All Day Long!
Hank’s in Palisades Village is celebrating National Hamburger Day this Memorial Day Weekend with a special Burger Combo Deal all day and evening on Sunday, National Hamburger Day! Guests can enjoy any one of Hank’s Hamburgers, including Executive Chef Isaias Peña’s award-winning Hank’s Single and Double Diamond Burger, which was named “BEST BURGER” WINNER in the Los Angeles Times “Best of the Southland 2022,” with a choice of Side and Draft Beer! $25; Sunday, 10:00 am – 9:00 pm; 1033 N. Swarthmore Ave. Pacific Palisades, CA 90722; 424.363.7166
Zsela and Buck Monster invite you to experience TANTRUM – LA’s first Cabarave. The 10-hour mini festival extravaganza features a night of singers, comedians, dancers and performance artists; in addition to a food offering from Chef Gerardo Gonzalez (Palm Heights). From 10:00 pm onwards the space will transform into a rave until 4:00 am! There will be an app developed by Galerie Yeche Lange and Jared Madere that all attendees of the party will gain access to where they can enter a metaverse once inside the venue. $40+; Sunday, 6:00 pm – 4:00 am; location given upon purchase of ticket
For those looking to kick off the warmer weather with a Memorial Day Weekend party, West Hollywood’s stylish Katana is thrilled to announce the start of their weekly Red Sun BBQ Garden – a Sunday party involving a Japanese robata-style grilling experience, live DJ, and lounge on Katana’s unique, elevated patio overlooking the Sunset Strip. The Red Sun BBQ Garden offers a new, imaginative Japanese cuisine menu specials and refreshing new summer cocktails like A5 Wagyu Tartare, Charcoal Roasted Spanish Octopus, and the refreshing Give Me The Green Light drink made with tequila, cucumber, kiwi, yuzu, and lime. To accompany your meal, DJ Katana (yes, coincidentally the same name) will be spinning beats on the outside lounge. Guests can enjoy Sunday Funday every Sunday through Labor Day. Various prices; Sundays, 5 – 10:00 pm; Katana Sunset Strip – 8439 Sunset Blvd., West Hollywood, CA 90069; 323.650.8585
Coffee and Plants Plant-Based Coffee Shop Offers FREE Drip Coffee to Active Duty Service Members and Veterans
In honor of Memorial Day, Leona Lewis’ plant-based coffee shop, Coffee and Plants will be offering complimentary drip coffee to active duty service members and veterans! For those visiting Los Angeles this Memorial Day Weekend, make a stop at the newly opened Coffee and Plants in Studio City for freshly baked goods, such as the Classic Chocolate Cocoa Muffin or the citrusy Lemon Poppy Seed slice. Add an Avocado Tartine for a balanced breakfast in a lush, soothing environment. Free; Monday, 7:00 am – 3:00 pm; Pasadena and Studio City locations
- Milagro Tequila: Whether you’re a seasoned tequila drinker or newcomer to the world of agave spirits, Milagro’s Paloma offerings will suit every palate. From a classic Paloma to creative twists, Milagro’s cocktails will bring you to the brighter side of tequila.
- Paloma Select
- 1 ½ Parts Milagro Select Silver
- ½ Part Agave Nectar*
- 1 Part Pink Grapefruit Juice
- ½ Parts Fresh Lime Juice
- 3 Parts Sparkling Water
- 1 Pink Grapefruit Wedge
- *Or Substitute with Simple SyrupMethod: Pour all ingredients, except sparkling water, into a Boston shaker with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a highball glass with fresh ice. Top with sparkling water. Garnish with speared grapefruit wedge.
- Hendrick’s Gin: The brand’s OG bottle, in addition to the latest release, Flora Adora, offers endless recipes from a classic Cucumber Lemonade to a unique Aperol Spritz.
- Cucumber Lemonade
- 1 1/2 parts Hendrick’s Gin
- 1/2 part Lemon Juice
- 1/2 part Simple Syrup
- Top with Soda Water
- 3 rounds of Cucumber and 1 wheel of Lemon to Garnish
- Method: Combine all ingredients in a highball glass filled with cubed ice and lightly stir. Garnish with 3 thinly sliced rounds of cucumber and 1 lemon wheel and serve.
- Glenfiddich Single Malt Scotch Whisky: Whether you’re a traditional Scotch lover or trying it for the first time, Glenfiddich is a single malt Scotch whisky staple – offering a variety of flavor notes across expressions, from its 12-Year-Old variant to its 50-Year-Old variant, to enjoy all season long.
- Berry Fiddich Fizz (By David Allardice, Glenfiddich West Coast Ambassador)
- 1.5 parts Glenfiddich 12 Year Old
- 1 part Blueberry Juice
- 1/2 part simple syrup
- 3 parts Italian Lemon Soda
- Method: Combine all ingredients in a highball glass filled with ice and garnish with a lemon twist.
- The Balvenie Single Malt Scotch Whisky: The Balvenie is an approachable single malt Scotch whisky, exuding notes of luxuriously smooth honey, that are apparent in fun cocktails – perfect for the hot summer months
- When Birds Do Sing (Created by The Balvenie Ambassador Naomi Leslie )
- 2 parts The Balvenie Sweet Toast of American Oak 12 Year
- ½ part Lillet Blanc Aperitif
- ¾ part Simple Syrup
- ¾ part Fresh Lemon Juice
- 4 dashes Grapefruit Bitters
- Method: Combine all ingredients in a highball glass filled with ice and garnish with a lemon twist.
Master the grill at home on Memorial Day Weekend with Mastro’s Butcher Block To-Go. Bring the excellence of Mastro’s home with 28-day, wet-aged cryo-vac sealed steaks accompanied with Mastro’s secret house steak rub. $64+; Available for pick-up only at the Beverly Hills and Downtown Los Angeles locations.