Cinco de Mayo is on a Friday this year (woo hoo), and people all over Los Angeles are gearing up to enjoy a weekend of Mexican food, drinks, music, games, and more! If you’re looking to celebrate on the town, we’ve got a list of the best LA restaurants, bars, hotels, and cantinas, serving cocktail and food specials and hosting special Cinco de Mayo parties. And for those celebrating from home, check out our list of festive cocktail recipes to serve at your Cinco de Mayo party. So if you love tacos, nachos, burritos, margaritas, mezcal, and tequila, get ready because Cinco de Mayo is almost here!
Dining/Drinks On the Town
Just in time for Cinco de Mayo, BJ’s introduces a new brew, BJ’s CureVeza™ Mexican-Style Lager, to build awareness for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, donating 25 cents per pint brewed to support the organization’s research for a cure for the disease which impacts nearly 1 million Americans. The new medium-bodied craft beer is a refreshing, Mexican-style pale lager with hints of lime and salt. It pairs perfectly with BJ’s Mahi Mahi or Shrimp tacos, Loaded Nachos and Sriracha Queso Dip. For even more Cinco de Mayo sips and specials, BJ’s is offering its crowd-pleasing Margarita Flight with four distinct margarita flavors, and May 5th Happy Hour deals, where legally available. These include $6 Brewhouse Margaritas and a discount on the CureVeza™. Cheers to that! Friday, Various prices, hours, and locations
Black Angus Steakhouse is hosting an all-day Cinco De Mayo party with an all-day Happy Hour! The steakhouse will give their guests all-day happy hour offerings which include their drink special, the Messy Michelada ($8.50), and favorites such as Chili-Lime Chicken Bites ($11.99), Steakhouse Bacon Cheeseburger ($15.99) and Loaded Potato Skins ($7). With the addition of the food specials, Black Angus Steakhouse will be offering live music performed by Dan Kattan, playing both original music and covers of all genres ranging from classic rock, jazz, blues, and soul. Friday, various hours and locations
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo this year with El Granjero Cantina at The Original Farmers Market. LA’s most colorful Mexican dining spot will celebrate the holiday with mariachi and margaritas! Come by the Plaza for a live DJ, games, a photo booth, a raffle, and more. Indulge in tacos and cocktail specials all night long for this festive Cinco de Mayo celebration! Various prices; 5/5, 3 – 8:00 pm; The Original Farmers Market – 6333 W. Third St., Stall 750, Los Angeles, CA 90036; 323.879.9324
Get ready for a Grand weekend-long fiesta for Cinco de Mayo at Fairmont Grand Del Mar! The magnificent resort is thrilled to welcome special guest and Volcan tequila Ambassador, Carlos Crain from Mexico City, who will share with guests the “Art of Tequila” all weekend long. 5300 Grand Del Mar Ct., San Diego, CA 92130; 858.314.2000
- (5/5) The Art of Tequila Tasting Event: Enjoy a Tequila Tasting Event on the Amaya Terrace where Crain will share the mastery of tequila. The tequila tasting includes a variety of Mexican tapas along with pours of Blanco, Reposado, Anejo, Crystalino, Smoke and the newest release, XA. $75; 5/5, 4 – 5:30 pm
- (5/5) Art of Tequila Pairing Dinner: Embark on a unique communal dining experience with renowned Volcan de Mi Tierra, Dos Hombres, and Clase Azul Tequila houses. Guests can savor an authentic six-course Mexican dinner perfectly paired with the ultimate tequila selection along with carefully crafted tequila cocktails. Crain will be in attendance to share the craft of tequila with all. $175; 5/5, 6:30 pm
- (5/6 – 5/7) Cinco de Mayo Weekend Brunch: Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with a special Baja brunch on Saturday and Sunday morning at Amaya. Delight in a three-course Mexican inspired brunch with dishes such as chilaquiles or huevos rancheros complete with limitless margaritas! $70; 5/6 – 5/7, 11:00 am – 2:00 pm
- Additional Cinco de Mayo Offerings:
- Fairmont Grand Del Mar will have a Golf Putting Competition hosted by Ambassador Carlos Crain of Volcan exclusively for members and overnight resort guests. Call the golf shop to sign up at 858.314.1930.
- Relax this Cinco de Mayo with a Detoxifying Replenish Body Wrap. The nourishing treatment begins with a dry body brushing to exfoliate the skin followed by a mini-therapeutic massage. The moisturizing wrap includes Porphyria red algae, hyaluronic acid, and clary sage. Reserve, HERE.
- The resort is also offering a Cinco de Mayo Fiesta Package and Cinco de Mayo Extravaganza Weekend Package for those wanting to celebrate and stay at the resort!
Cinco de Mayo is so close I can taste the mezcal, and with it falling on a Friday this year, Angelenos are sure to be on the hunt to lock in plans early on where to celebrate! Gracias Madre West Hollywood will feature a lively outdoor Pop-Up Margarita Garden where guests can enjoy an array of margaritas, plant-based bites, live mariachi band performances, beats by DJ Vick Jagger, raffle prizes, photo opportunities, and more. CUT ABOVE will be slingin’ spirit-free cocktails, and Herradura, La Tierra De Acre, and Mezcal Mal Bien will host Margarita and Mezcal bars at the event. $30; 5/5, 3 – 9:00 pm; 8905 Melrose Avenue West Hollywood, CA 90069; 323.978.2170
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with Hotel Casa del Mar and Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul’s mezcal, Dos Hombres! Pop over to the iconic Santa Monica hotel for cocktails or reserve any of the below “Dos Hombres” packages. Either way, discover why this award-winning mezcal has become the pride of Oaxaca, Mexico. Additional special food & beverage menus are available for purchase. $100+(Minimum $500 charge for space or 5 guests); 5/5, Cabana reservations begin at 6:00 pm; Hotel Casa del Mar – 1910 Ocean Way, Santa Monica, CA, 90405; 310.581.5533
- The Dos Hombres Bottle Service Package includes:
- Semi-Private Lobby Cabana for up to 8 guests or table for up to 6 guests
- Bottle of Dos Hombres Mezcal with mixers and garnishes
- Signed collector’s bottle of Dos Hombres Mezcal by founders Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul
- Light bites
- Musical entertainment
The Godfrey Hotel Hollywood and its rooftop lounge, I|O Rooftop, invite all to join in on their Cinco de Mayo celebration. One of the largest rooftops in Hollywood, spanning over 12,000 square feet, the space is ideal for those looking to celebrate with spectacular views of the city while enjoying delicious street tacos, specialty cocktails, and a live DJ. Free entry; Friday, 5:00 pm – 2:00 am; Godfrey Hotel Hollywood – 1400 Cahuenga Boulevard Los Angeles, CA 90028; 323.762.1000
Lucha VaVOOM announces a two-night Cinco de Mayan engagement. Los Angeles’ longest-running, most celebrated variety show returns with world-class lucha libre-style wrestling, burlesque, aerialists, comedy, music, and much more. $45 – $65; 5/4 – 5/5, 8:00 pm; 1038 S. Hill St., Los Angeles, CA 90015
Join the Marina del Rey Hotel for the ultimate Cinco de Mayo celebration! They’re spicing things up with @jaja Tequila, a live band, piñatas, and more. It’s the perfect way to kick off the outdoor bar being open on the weekends throughout the month of season! Free entry; Friday, 3 – 6:00 pm; Marine del Rey Hotel – 13534 Bali Way, Marina del Rey, CA 90292; 310.301.1000
Cinco de Mayo is the perfect excuse to gather with friends and celebrate everything Mexican from food to music. So what better way to celebrate than a PINKO de Mayo bash at Pink Taco, an eclectic Mexican restaurant serving tacos with an attitude since 1999? Pink Taco is where bold tastes come together alongside a rock music-fueled vibe. So grab some friends and check out Pink Taco’s tequila-saturated menu and killer tacos! And make sure to dress in pink, share on social, and be entered to win swag! $14+; 5/5, 11:00 am – 1:00 am; 8225 Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90046; 323.380.7474
Qué Padre, the Pacific Palisades popular modern Mexican restaurant located in Palisades Village, is excited to announce its upcoming Cinco de Mayo Celebration. The party will feature The Smoke Label artisan smoked Blanco and Reposado Tequila Tastings, Coronita Buckets ($20), Cervezas ($5), Qué Padre Cocktails, Signature Margaritas, Tequila Flights, and Executive Chef Isaias Peña’s full Modern Mexican Menu of Tacos (Carne Asada, Grilled Chicken, Carnitas, Beef Birria, Mushroom, Shrimp, Fish and Al Pastor), and signature Mexican Chocolate Churros for dessert! For reservations, please call Qué Padre directly. 5/5, 12 – 9:00 pm; Palisades Village – 15203 Palisades Village Lane, Pacific Palisades, CA 90272; 310.461.8226
Solita Tacos & Margaritas in Anaheim is calling all Angels fans to not only celebrate Cinco de Mayo, but to also celebrate another home game against the Texas Rangers. Solita Anaheim (located directly across from Parking Lot 9A of Angel Stadium) will be throwing a game day party hosted by ESPN radio in celebration of the Angels game day on 5/5. ESPN Radio will be doing a live broadcast from Solita and giving away Angels tickets! Solita will also have a beer garden, a DJ, and lawn games, making it THE place for game days, whether it’s for pre-game festivities, watching the game, or a post-game meetup to keep the party going all night long. Various prices; 5/5, 10:00 am – 7:00 pm; 2438 East Katella Ave. Anaheim, CA 92806; 949.755.7519
Soak up the ocean breezes with your amigos over pitchers of margaritas, grande molcajetes, and tons of tacos at this colorful, farmers’ market-driven Mexican spot along the PCH in Santa Monica. A DJ will be spinning tunes from 6 – 9:00 pm to get the party started. In addition to the usual menu, they’ll have a bunch of stations set up outside, including a satellite bar with hibiscus, spicy & classic margaritas, a taco cart firing up carnitas tacos and chicharrónes, and Mexican street fruit cups. Food and drinks from the patio are available to go as well, so one can enjoy on the beach. Reservations are highly recommended to guarantee a spot, but walk-ins are available at Felix’s Bar and on the massive, lounge-y patio. Various prices; 5/5, 4 – 10:00 pm; 118 Entrada Dr., Santa Monica CA 90402; 310.526.0027
- If you’re having a big celebration at home, then get Tallula’s Cinco De Mayo Fiesta Pack, which feeds 6 and includes crowd-pleasers like a 12-piece Taco Bar with carne asada, chicken, shrimp, veggies & all the fixings, an 8-piece Cheese Quesadilla, DIY Nachos “Sencillo” and Churros. Don’t forget to add Jars of Margaritas, Palomas, Seasonal Aguas Frescas, or Mixed Cerveza Packs. $155; Pre-order online through Tallula’s website or Tripleseat by 5/4, 8:00 pm for pickup and delivery on 5/5
Our favorite tough guy Danny Trejo wants everyone to join him in celebrating Cinco de Mayo, by stopping by his Trejo’s Tacos for tacos, bowls, quesadillas, chips and guac, and of course margaritas! Stop into any of the locations, and enjoy delicious bites, ice cold drinks, and be on the lookout because Mr. Machete himself may be making a special Cinco de Mayo appearance! And if you go for Happy Hour (between 3 – 5:00 pm) there will be food and drink specials! Various prices, hours and locations
In honor of Cinco de Mayo, Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills has partnered with Waldorf Astoria Los Cabos Pedregal to bring a taste of Mexico to Beverly Hills on 5/5 and 5/6. 9850 Wilshire Boulevard, Beverly Hills, CA 90210; 800.774.1500
- (5/5) Cinco de Mayo: Savor a four-course, family-style dinner featuring traditional Mexican flavors with a contemporary California flare. Led by Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills’ Director of Culinary, Chef Steve Benjamin, and Waldorf Astoria Los Cabos Pedregal’s Executive Chef, Gustavo Pinet, indulge in the flavors of Los Cabos, sip on hand-crafted margaritas or choose from signature cocktails or wine pairings, and revel in the sounds of a live Mariachi band. $185; 5/5, 5:30 – 10:00 pm
- (5/6) Taste of Mexico: Enjoy a special spirits tasting hosted by Waldorf Astoria Los Cabos Pedregal’s Bar Director, David Hernandez. The tasting highlights select tequila, mezcal, and agave varieties, paired perfectly with seasonal bar bites featuring the flavors of Mexico. $75; 5:30 – 6:00 pm
- (5/6) A signature TRAVESÍA experience: Led by Waldorf Astoria Los Cabos Pedregal’s Executive Chef, Gustavo Pinet, Bar Director, David Hernandez, and Chef Steve Benjamin, Director of Culinary at Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills – guests will be transported to the Mexican Coast with a six-course tasting menu and cocktail pairings, to discover the spirit and curiosity of this beloved Mexican tradition. $245; 5/6, 7:00 pm
Located in the heart of Los Angeles, The Wayfarer DTLA will celebrate Cinco de Mayo all month with a limited-edition El Tesoro Tequila barrel, festive sips, and a tasting event. Those looking to dive further into the world of agave spirits can attend Wayfarer’s Meet the Makers event ($104.84) with El Tesoro Tequila on 5/18 at 7:00 pm. A leader in crafting innovative tequila expressions, El Tesoro Tequila, is the first producer to age tequila in cognac barrels. During the event, guests will enjoy three specialty cocktails made from Wayfarer DTLA’s private El Tesoro tequila barrel, passed appetizers, and will leave with a take-home souvenir. 813 Flower St, Los Angeles, CA 90017; 213.285.4400
Cinco de Mayo from Home
With warmer days ahead, Milagro has you covered with 3 refreshing, easy-to-make cocktail recipes currently up and coming with cultural trends. From Ranch Water to a Spicy Marg and even a Skinny Marg, these recipes are ideal for celebrating Cinco de Mayo the right way.
Picante Margarita (Created by Luis Lopez)
- 2 oz. Milagro Silver
- 1 oz. Fresh lime juice
- ¾ oz. Agave nectar
- ¼ oz. Tabasco hot sauce (3-4 dashes)
- 3 slices of cucumber
Method: First, muddle 2 cucumber slices in a shaker before adding other ingredients. Then add the rest of the ingredients with fresh ice and shake it for 5-10 seconds. Next, strain and pour into a rocks glass over fresh ice. Garnish with the remaining cucumber wheel, and enjoy.
The Freshest Margarita / Skinny Margarita
- 2 parts Milagro Silver
- ¾ Part Agave nectar*
- 1 Part Fresh Lime Juice
- 1 Lime Wheel
Method: Pour all ingredients into a Boston shaker, add ice, shake, and strain over fresh ice into a rocks glass. Garnish with a lime wheel. * Or Substitute with Simple Syrup.
- 3 parts Milagro Silver
- 1.5 parts Fresh Lime Juice
- Soda Water to top off
- Lime Wheel
Method: Fill a highball glass with ice, add tequila & fresh lime juice, top with soda water, and garnish with a lime wheel.
Hosting a Cinco de Mayo party? We have the perfect hassle-free Margarita option; Batch & Bottle’s Milagro Margarita is the answer! With the launch of its eponymous custom-made grapefruit salt blend created to perfectly pair with the margarita, this ready-to-serve cocktail is best enjoyed by simply chilling the bottle, garnishing with the grapefruit salt blend, and pouring neat or on the rocks. Various prices; Available on Instacart and Drizly