Los Angeles Weekend Roundup
(Things to Do in Los Angeles April 21, 2023 – April 23, 2023)
The leading self-serve frozen yogurt brand, Yogurtland, just announced its newest promo – and it’s tea-riffic! Today, in honor of National Tea Day, froyo lovers and tea enthusiasts can cheers their cups of limited-time Thai Tea and Boba Milk Tea – and Real Rewards members will earn 2x points on any in-store purchase or online order. To join Real Rewards, sign up here or download the Yogurtland mobile app. Various prices, locations, and hours
The Rooftop, the sexy rooftop lounge at DTLA’s The Wayfarer, invites you to the Meet Your Makers series. Each month, food & drink connoisseurs (or those who just want a nice night out on the town!) will have the chance to enjoy delicious aperitifs and learn what it takes to create a world-renowned liqueur, wine, and beer. Each event will offer vastly different food offerings paired with the highlighted drink to ensure that epicureans have a unique experience each time. Tonight is dedicated to Flights & Bites, where wine lovers are invited to sip, mingle and meet the makers behind Tooth & Nail Wine Company. The evening features a wine flight featuring Tooth & Nail wines, passed appetizers and a take-home souvenir. $104.84; Friday, 7:00 pm; The Wayfarer DTLA – 813 Flower Street Los Angeles, CA 90017; 213.285.4400
Coachella is back and this year’s music and art festival is headlined by Bad Bunny, BlackPink, and Frank Ocean. Weekend two kicks off today with an epic lineup of performances and events, leading up to a killer show by mega artist Bad Bunny. Have fun, and most importantly, be safe! Various prices; Friday – Sunday; Indio, CA
Planning your next road trip? Exploring California is an unforgettable experience, with endless opportunities for adventure and discovery, many of which are within a few hours’ drive of the main metropolitan areas – San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego. From the sun-kissed beaches of Southern California to the rugged coastline of Big Sur, the state is home to a diverse range of landscapes and destinations. So whether you’re looking to hike through California’s national parks, indulge in world-class cuisine, or simply soak up the laid-back California lifestyle, there’s something for everyone. With its year-round sunshine, stunning scenery, and endless possibilities for exploration, California truly has it all.
Mother’s Day is just around the corner, and it’s time to show our appreciation for the most important woman in our lives. Finding the perfect gift for Mom can be a daunting task, but fear not, because we’ve got you covered. Our Mother’s Day gift guide is here to help you find a unique and thoughtful present that will make her feel loved and cherished. Whether your Mom is into travel, relaxation, wellness, or sentimental items, we’ve curated a list of the best gifts that will suit any taste and budget. So, sit back, relax, and let us help you make this Mother’s Day extra special.
The Los Angeles Times Festival of Books, Stories and Ideas is back on USC’s campus to celebrate its 28th year! The festival will return with hundreds of events introducing more than 500 writers, poets, artists and storytellers. Guest speakers include Stacey Abrams, Meghan Trainor, Laura Dern, Max Greenfield, Jennifer Garner, Roxane Gay, Leslie Odom Jr., and much more! Free entry – $50 (Indoor panel tickets are free, but a reservation fee will be charged. Certain additional events during the festival weekend may require a paid ticket); Saturday, 10:00 am – 6:00 pm and Sunday, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm; University of Southern California – 3551 Trousdale Pkwy., Los Angeles, CA 90089
Hear ye hear ye. You have been cordially invited to the Original Renaissance Pleasure Faire. Guests will be transported to the Renaissance time period where they can witness jousting tournaments, shoot a bow and arrow, throw spears, eat a jumbo size turkey leg, pose for photos, and more. Come as you are or wear your favorite Renaissance costume. Please note costume weapons must be sheathed and peace-tied. $42 (adults) and $21 (children); Saturdays – Sundays, (through 5/21), 10:00 am – 7:00 pm; Santa Fe Dam Recreation Area – 15501 E. Arrow Highway, Irwindale, CA 91706; 626.969.4750
The celebrity-backed Thor’s Skyr brand invites the public to try complimentary smoothies and fruit-topped bowls made with Thor’s Skyr at the brand’s first-ever pop-up bar. Thor’s Skyr, the American-made Skyr brand that uses traditional Icelandic methods and all natural ingredients to make delicious yogurt, will host an exclusive pop-up taking place on the outdoor patio of the Viceroy Santa Monica’s signature restaurant, Sugar Palm. Free; Saturday, 8 – 11:00 am; 1819 Ocean Avenue, Santa Monica, CA 90401; 310.260.7500
Today is the perfect day for a beach celebration! Hot Dog on a Stick, the popular So-Cal eatery invites you to the grand reopening of the iconic Muscle Beach location. To coincide with the anniversary month of the brand, Hot Dog on a Stick is hosting an epic celebration to honor the location’s refreshed look. Guests will receive a FREE small Original Lemonade along with other FREE limited-edition swag. Free entry; Saturday, 2 – 4:00 pm; 1633 Ocean Front Walk, Santa Monica, CA 90401
Here in LA, booze and brunch go together like peas and carrots. Whether you want Waffles, Eggs, or Avocado Toast, nothing complements your meal like an ice-cold cocktail, especially if that glass is endless. But where can you find these brunches with bottomless cocktails and tasty bites? Don’t stress; I got you. I’m here to give you a list of the best bottomless brunches in Los Angeles. So all you have to do is grab a cute brunch outfit and your date, and get ready to indulge in fun, good food, and drinks. Cheers!
Qué Padre is excited to introduce their new Weekend Breakfast and Spicy Mimosa Bar at Palisades Village. Starting today and continuing every Saturday and Sunday, Qué Padre will be serving up Executive Chef Isaias Peña’s delicious new Weekend Breakfast Menu featuring Steak & Eggs Tacos, Soyrizo Tacos, Chilaquiles, and Churro French Toast. Each item is also served with your choice of a Complimentary Café de Olla or Cold Brew, making for the perfect morning pick-me-up. But that’s not all – Qué Padre is also introducing its new weekend Spicy Mimosa Bar featuring Traditional Orange, Watermelon, Mango, and Guava Mimosas, and each drink comes with a spicy rim of Tajin and Chamoy adding an extra kick to your breakfast or lunch experience. Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet and tangy Orange Mimosa or a refreshing Watermelon Mimosa with a spicy twist, Qué Padre has a perfect Mimosa just for you. $16+; Saturdays – Sundays, 9:00 am – 12:00 pm (Weekend Breakfast) and 9:00 am – 3:00 pm (Spicy Mimosa Bar); Palisades Village – 15203 Palisades Village Lane, Pacific Palisades, CA 90272; 310.461.8226; Cover Photo Credit: Photography by Tonelson
The landmark Culver Hotel has recently reopened its storied second floor art gallery, which will be playing host to an ongoing series of rotating exhibitions showcasing work from established and emerging artists with a connection to Los Angeles and California. A debut solo show from Los Angeles-based artist Emil Ravelo, Retrospective Rollercoaster explores the often non-linear journey towards “making it.” Ravelo’s work uses vivid colors, collage and elements of cinematography and is rooted in the city of Los Angeles. Tonight (7 – 9:00 pm), join the hotel as they welcome the exhibition’s debut with a meet and greet with the artist, live musical performances, and light refreshments. Free entry; Saturday – 5/31, Culver Hotel – 9400 Culver Blvd, Culver City, CA 90232; 310.558.9400
Los Angeles Celebrates Earth Day
- National Parks: Celebrate Earth Day at California’s beautiful National Parks. In honor of the celebration, all California national parks will waive their entry fees. Today also marks the start of National Park Week, a nine-day celebration with special park events and activities. Free entry; various locations; Saturday – 4/30; Here’s a tip, this must-have park passport book is the perfect accessory to record your park memories and collect your national parks passport stamps. Happy Trails!
- Fairmont Spa Century Plaza is Your Grounding Oasis for Earth Day: The recently awarded Forbes Five Star Fairmont Spa Century Plaza is inviting guests to celebrate Earth Day with soulfully-steeped day in nature and cleansing, and a couple’s Matahari Journey. 2025 Avenue of the Stars, Los Angeles, California, United States, 90067; 310.424.3030
- Celestial Twilight Ceremony: Earth Day commences with a complimentary Celestial Twilight Ceremony, available for booking at 9:00 am, 11:00 am, 2:00 pm and 5:00 pm, where guests are welcomed with sparkling matcha, illuminating candles and crystal bowls resonating in harmonic tones for an energy cleansing and parting ritual. Visitors are then invited to the hotel’s Rooftop Pool from 6 – 7:30 pm for an evening immersed in the exquisite sound of Alchemy Crystal Bowls led by Sound and Energy Healer Gwen Gaydos. While surrounded by calming and healing frequencies to balance and clear the nervous system, harmonize the body, and relax the mind, guests can connect their subconscious to their conscious mind during transformative brain shifts that take place as they connect with Mother Earth and their fellow humans. The event will also include mocktails and light bites. $55 (per person); Saturday
- Matahari Journey: Fairmont Spa Century Plaza is celebrating Earth Day all month long, with a new couples’ 120-minute Matahari Journey, a romantic interlude to escape the limitations of Earth and feel touched by the magic of the sun, stars and moon. The Journey starts in the couples’ suite with a grounding ritual of Tibetan sound bowls and inhalation bowls of red jasper, essential oils and hot steam to open up the sinuses, while therapists perform scalp massages to ease tension. Dry brushing prepares the skin for a Turkish Rhassoul mud ritual, and a detoxifying raindrop therapy massage completes the journey, activating the seven chakras. Libations, hot tea and snacks await in the secluded spa lounge while couples wind down to the sound of rainmakers. $850 (per couple); through 4/30
- Ardor at The West Hollywood EDITION: Ardor at The West Hollywood EDITION has released a new cocktail menu just in time for spring along with a special one day only menu to celebrate Earth Day. 9040 West Sunset Blvd., West Hollywood, CA 90069; 310.953.9899
- Ardor’s spring cocktail program spans a variety of flavors inspired by the produce of the season. Perfect for Earth Day is the new Sea Glass made with Gray Whale Gin, (every bottle supports nonprofit ocean conservation organization, Oceana’s, efforts to protect and restore the ocean), Mediterranean Tonic, mint, and nor. Other drinks include Pearl (vodka, sake, lemongrass, and white pepper), and Magenta (blackberry-infused tequila, basil, sherry, and prosecco). $18+; Wednesdays – Saturdays, 12 – 2:30 pm and 6 – 10:30 pm
- For Earth Day only, the restaurant will also be offering a special vegetarian dinner menu. The prix fixe menu includes Ardor favorites like Milk Bread, and Tandoor Carrots, with eggplant, hummus, and pine nuts, and Sweet Potato Curry with mango, jicama, pearl onion, and puffed rice. Special menu items include Cauliflower Steak with Marcona almonds, green olives, granny smith apples, and picked herbs, and Strawberry Shortcake for dessert, made with Harry’s Berries, raspberries, and almond cremeux. $65; Saturday, 6 – 10:30 pm
- Esters Earth Day Winemakers Tasting: Co-Owner/Rustic Canyon Family Wine Director Kathryn Coker and team are inviting their favorite planet-friendly winemakers who practice regenerative farming in the vineyard for this epic, Earth Day walk-around tasting in the outdoor parklet. Walk around the lovely parklet to sample a variety of wines and meet renowned sommelier, writer & winemaker Raj Parr behind Phelan Farm (among other labels), Centralas owner, vintner & Organic Wine Podcast host Adam Huss and more rockstar winemakers, like Camins 2 Dreams’ Tara Gomez & Mireia Taribo, Hiyu Wine Farms’ Nate Ready, Donkey & Goat’s Tracey Rogers Brandt, Pray Tell’s Tom Caruso, Margins Wine’s Megan Bell, Nevio Scala’s Claudio Scala, Mersel Wine’s Eddie Chami and FRES.CO’s Jack Sporer. The wines will also be available by-the-glass or bottle so you can keep celebrating all-day-long! A portion of ticket sales will be donated to a really cool startup called OOM (Our Only Mission—Earth) which is redefining climate action by creating a new reuse economy. Their goal is to eliminate single-use packaging waste in our everyday consumer goods, like wine bottles. They’re taking empty glass bottles from Esters to their facility for sterilization before delivering them to local wineries, such as Centralas, for reuse. To serve more restaurants and wine bars in Los Angeles, they need more trucks, so donations from this event will support that effort. $40; Saturday, 2:00 pm; Esters Wine Shop & Bar – 1314 7th St., Santa Monica, CA 90401; 310.899.6900
The LA comedy show, bringing you some of the best comics in town, with no drink minimum or maximum, is back! Hosted by two of my favorite comedians, @MarinaQuin & @jackiegold, Whiskey N Donuts is one of the funniest (and cheapest) comedy experiences around. Free; Saturday, 7:00 pm; followed by karaoke; The Good Nite Inn – 10721 Burbank Blvd., North Hollywood, CA 91601
Enveloped in the timeless glamour of Beverly Hills while presenting European comfort and a delicate touch of exquisite design and amenities, Mr. C Beverly Hills proudly introduces a Bellini-inspired brunch every Sunday at The Restaurant at Mr. C Beverly Hills. Learn a brief review of the history of the Bellini, created by the Cipriani family, before enjoying decadent brunch menu with items in a pink-colored environment to match the hue of the Bellini. Music by a live jazz band will accompany your Bellini brunch. $21+; Sundays, 9:00 am – 2:00 pm; 1224 Beverwil Dr, Los Angeles, CA 90035; 310.277.2800
VIEW Restaurant & Lounge at the recently debuted VEA Newport Beach announces the launch of its weekly Sunday brunch. The curated brunch menu from Executive Chef Andrew Arndt, features champagne specials and new cocktail creations paired with breakfast and lunch favorites. Highlights include an Egg White Frittata, Lobster Roll, Smoked Salmon, and Fried Chicken & Waffles. Pair your brunch with a bottle of Mionetto Prosecco ($35), Faire La Fete Rose ($50), Taittinger ($70), or Veuve Clicquot ($125). Brunch cocktails include French 75, Bloody Mary, Red Sangria, and more. VIEW is a spacious, all-day restaurant and lounge that sits at the heart of the hotel, connected to a lanai with fire pits by collapsible glass doors that seamlessly blend indoors and out. $18+; Sundays, 11:00 am – 5:00 pm; VEA Newport Beach – 900 Newport Center Dr., Newport Beach, California, USA 92660; 949.640.4000
Country vibes make their way back to LA’s industrial edges for a second season of Chicken Sh*t Bingo at Benny Boy Brewing. Guests can cheer on their favorite chickens from Future Foods Urban Farm as they do work in support of their home. Half of the bingo winnings go directly back to the farm, which is dedicated to building healthy soil, rescuing chickens, and sharing abundance in the community. Listen to tunes by Country Music DJ Friends in Low Places, and enjoy food for purchase from pop-up vendors Little Fish (12 – 7:00 pm) and River Street BBQ (3 – 9:00 pm). This event is 21+. Free to watch, $3/square (cash only); Sunday, 2 – 5:00 pm; 1821 Daly St., Los Angeles, CA 90031
Black Angus Steakhouse, the original American steakhouse since 1964, will host a one night experiential dinner, The Tequila Experience with the popular summer spirit, and a three-course menu. The special dinner will be composed with top-quality ingredients with Mexican flavors, and each course will be complemented with handcrafted Patron tequila cocktails. The evening will begin with a palate pleaser of Grilled Shrimp with Avocado Butter, made with house-pickled red onions and steak chicharrons, paired with a refreshing Strawberry & Tequila “Ranch Water.” The dinner’s second course will be a juicy cut of Grilled Tajin Marinated Flat Iron Steak, topped with Guajillo Butter with sides of cumin roasted carrots, crispy yuca, black radish & salsa verde, paired with a Tequila Cucumber Mojito. The specialty tequila dinner will be concluded with a sweet course and will include a Tequila Lime Strawberry Shortcake with whipped cream paired with a Prosecco Margarita. $51.99; 4/27, 7:00 pm; Various locations
The Rooftop, the sexy rooftop lounge at DTLA’s The Wayfarer, invites you to the Meet Your Makers series. Each month, food & drink connoisseurs (or those who just want a nice night out on the town!) will have the chance to enjoy delicious aperitifs and learn what it takes to create a world-renowned liqueur, wine, and beer. Each event will offer vastly different food offerings paired with the highlighted drink to ensure that epicureans have a unique experience each time. In honor of Cinco de Mayo, The Wayfarer DTLA will continue its Meet Your Makers series with an El Tesoro Tequila Barrel Tasting experience with three specialty cocktails featuring the Private Pacifica El Tesoro barrel, passed appetizers, a take-home souvenir, and the opportunity to meet the makers behind the brand. $104.84; 5/18, 7:00 pm; The Rooftop – 813 Flower Street Los Angeles, CA 90017; 213.285.4400