On the Eighth Day of Christmas, my true love gave to me, 8 Films a Watching, 7 Spirits Stirring, 6 Movies Playing, 5 Cocktail Rings, 4 Christmas Songs, 3 Drunk Friends, 2 Turkey Legs, and a Spiced Espresso Martini! Start a new tradition by pairing some of your favorite holiday classics with festive yuletide cocktails (cocktail recipes included). Cheers and Happy Holidays!
National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation
Chevy Chase leads an all-star hilarious cast in this holiday classic. Kuddos if you can get through this movie without cracking up. Available on HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, fuboTV, Philo, and rentals.
Spiced Espresso Martini by Hotel Casa del Mar
- 2 oz. Tito’s
- 2 oz. Espresso
- .5 oz. Kahlua pumpkin
- Splash of caramel and chocolate syrup
- This cocktail recipe is so easy! Just combine in a cocktail shaker and pour into a Martini glass. Garnish lightly with Winter seasoning (cinnamon, all spice, cloves, ginger, nutmeg, brown sugar) on half of the glass.
Folklore comes to life in this fun, fast-paced Christmas horror-comedy. Please note there are several different versions of this story, so PLEASE make sure you are watching the one starring Toni Collette and Adam Scott. Available on Peacock, Hulu, fuboTV, and rentals.
- 1 Shot vodka
- 1/2 Shot Peppermint Schnapps
- 2 oz. cream
- Chocolate syrup
- Whipped cream
- Strawberry syrup
- Combine the vodka, schnapps, cream, and chocolate syrup in a cocktail shaker and give it a good long shake. Pour over ice in a festive mug. Top with whipped cream and blood-red strawberry syrup.
A Christmas Story
There’s a reason why TBS plays this feel-good Christmas movie on repeat every Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. For 24 hours straight, you can watch as Ralphie recalls a Christmas from his past that will make you laugh, and leave you warm and fuzzy. Available on TBS/TNT (Christmas Eve and Christmas Day), HBO Max and Amazon Prime Video.
Spiked Hot Chocolate by The Modern Proper
- Irish Cream
- Chopped Chocolate
- Marshmallows and whipped cream
- This cocktail recipe will warm you up in a flash. Warm together a mix of milk, sugar, salt, and vanilla. Stir in chopped chocolate until smooth. Stir in bourbon, Frangelico, and Irish Cream. Sprinkle with marshmallows or a swirl of whipped cream. * If you do not want to make your own chocolate mix, use a cup of pre-bought powdered hot cocoa mix.
Before Catherine O’Hara gave us Moira Rose, she was the mom in this hilarious comedy. Throw in Macaulay Culkin, Joe Pesci, and Daniel Stern and you have pure comedy gold. Available on Disney+ and rentals.
Warm Winter Rum Punch
- Apple cider
- Cranberry juice
- Fresh cranberries
- Pomegranate seeds
- Orange, thickly sliced
- Cinnamon stick
- Dash of ground clove
- Dash of ground nutmeg
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- In a pot, pour a 2:1 ratio of cider to cranberry juice to desired serving quantity (for example, for 4 servings, use 4 cups cider and 2 cups cranberry juice). Add a few generous handfuls of cranberries and pomegranate seeds before adding 3 cinnamon sticks. Gently squeeze the orange slices into the mixture before putting them into the pot. Sprinkle in the spices. Stir and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for about 10 minutes. Pour a couple ounces of the liquor into the mug, making sure you get a little bit of all the fruit into the glass. Garnish with a cinnamon stick.
Will Ferrell is so spot-on in this Christmas movie. He plays Buddy, the loveable Elf who leaves the North Pole in search of his father. Along the way he spreads Christmas cheer and laughter to all he encounters. Available on Amazon Prime Video, Starz, HBO Max, fuboTV, Philo, and rentals.
Holiday Old Fashioned by little Bits of REAL FOOD
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. water
- 1 Sprig rosemary
- 2 Shots of bourbon
- ½ Shot triple sec
- 4 Dashes of bitters
- Rosemary to garnish
- Maraschino cherries
- Combine in a cocktail shaker maple syrup, water, 1 sprig rosemary, bourbon, triple sec, and bitters. Muddle to combine. Put some ice in two glasses and strain the mixture evenly between both. Garnish each with a sprig of rosemary and cherries
This may be one of the best Christmas movies of all time! New York cop Bruce Willis is in L.A. to see his family for the holidays. The trip takes an action-packed turn when terrorists hijack the holiday party he and his wife (Holly) are attending. Available on Amazon Prime Video, STARZ, Hulu, Sling, Philo, and rentals.
Spiced Holly Highball by The Cocktail Project
- 1 1/2 parts Cruzan® Aged Dark Rum
- 5 Cranberries
- 3/4 tsp. pumpkin Spice
- 1 tsp. agave syrup
- Handful fresh mint
- Muddle the cranberries, mint, pumpkin spice and agave. Add rum and shake well. Strain over ice into a highball glass. Top with club soda. Garnish with mint and three cranberries.
Only Bill Murray could pull off this modern version of A Christmas Carol. Sit back and relax as you watch crotchety Murray as he is visited by spirits who teach him the true meaning of Christmas. Available on Pluto, Amazon Prime Video, Paramount+, and rentals.
Christmas Martini by A Couple Cooks
- Cranberry juice, 100% unsweetened
- Lemon juice
- Simple syrup (or maple syrup)
- Add the vodka, cranberry juice, Cointreau, lemon juice, and simple syrup to the cocktail shaker. Shake for 15 seconds until cold. Strain the drink into a glass and garnish with fresh cranberries and a rosemary sprig.
How the Grinch Stole Christmas
Dr. Seuss’ beloved story comes to life with the help of funny man Jim Carrey. For those who want a mocktail for their kids or sober friends, this drink is the perfect holiday non-alcoholic cocktail. Available on HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, and rentals.
No-Groni (non-alcoholic) by Sofitel LA at Beverly Hills Director of Food & beverage Mathieu Bruno and Director of Nightlife Aidan Demarest.
- Black tea
- Wormwood tea
- Vanilla tea
- Orange tea
- Cinnamon tea
- 4 Orange peels
- 1 Grapefruit peel
- Simple Syrup
- Seedlip Spice 94
- Verjus Rouge
- Cinnamon sticks
- Note: you will be making 3 separate teas to be combined in the end
- Steep black tea, wormwood + vanilla tea together between 30 and 60 minutes
- Steep cinnamon & orange tea + cinnamon sticks together between 30 and 60 minutes
- Steep the peels of 4 oranges and 1 grapefruit in water between 30 and 60 minutes. Around 3 orange peels and 1 grapefruit peel for 3 cups of water
- Blend all teas with simple syrup and make sure the teas cool. Mix with equal parts of Seedlip Spice 94 and Verjus Rouge. Garnish with an orange peel.