“Colors, like features, follow the changes of emotions” – Pablo Picasso
CLR (pronounced kuhl-er) Los Angeles is a black-owned candle company made in Los Angeles by a team of CLRFful people, including women, LGBTQIA+ people, or people of CLR. Launched in 2020 by Taylor Davis, this candle company creates an “experience for all candle lovers regardless of background, race, age, size, gender, or religion.” CLR was designed “with an option for every person, mood and CLR.”
It’s all about the “glow”
CLR candles pioneered the “glow.” The candle is housed within a sleek, white jar with a matte finish. The jar’s interior is lined with a color from either the Classic or the new Neutrals Collection. When lit, the candle radiates a glow of that color. “Inspired by the endless glow of Los Angeles, CLR captures every hue, scent, and mesmerizing moment in each innovative candle of its collection.”
- Red – Dark nuances of tuberose and jasmine lure you in with power and passion.
- Orange – Citrus reimagined with rosewater, earl grey, and a joyful glow that floods your space with energy.
- Yellow – Zesty ease of eternal optimism. Basil combines with patchouli to bring out your boho fantasy.
- Green – Lemon flower and bamboo blend softness and strength like the peace at the end of a rainstorm.
- Blue – A woody blend with spice and amber that feels like snuggling in after a night on the town.
- Purple – A sweet lemon top note settles into berry and fig as opulence and elegance reflect in your space.
(NEW) Neutrals Collection
CLR recently launched the Neutrals Collection containing 3 new colors: Cream, Grey, and Beige.
- Cream – The aura of sweet cream flows over fresh hints of bergamot, sweeping it into the heart composed of warm jasmine and robust tuberose.
- Grey– Understated fragrance notes of lavender and rosemary stir amidst starkly contrasted amber. Grey embodies the permanence of stone.
- Beige – Versatility is one of the defining hallmarks of Beige. It combines florals and decadent spices with moderate sandalwood, patchouli, and leather.
From the first spark, CLR candles smell amazing. You can feel a shift in energy when lit, and there’s a certain warmth that envelops your space. I light my candles all the time. Whether I’m setting the ambiance for yoga or meditation or getting ready for an at-home spa day, CLR candles are perfect for every mood and occasion.
CLR Supports Causes
It’s not just about the profit. CLR is committed to “embracing every person, CLR, and mood,” and the brand supports similar Los Angeles-based organizations on a rotating basis. For example, today, CLR donates 5% of the profit from every candle sold to Black Women for Wellness, an LA-based organization “committed to advancing the health and well-being of Black women and girls through health education, empowerment, and advocacy.”
CLR Los Angeles is more than your average candle brand. It’s a movement about embracing who you uniquely are and the many colors and moods you emit. It’s a celebration of the luxury of color. “We wanted to honor and celebrate the role color plays in our lives because it’s universal and still personal at the same time. Color makes life interesting!” $48; Available online for nationwide shipping at CLR, @candledelerium, @nordstromnyc, and @nordstom online