Ok, so you may not be able to drink at your favorite watering hole for St. Patty’s Day, but don’t let that stop you from indulging on libations. Thanks to streaming services and online rental providers, you can enjoy the holiday from the comfort of your own couch. Here is a list of 5 St. Patty’s Day movies AND cocktails to help you get in the Irish spirit.
Leprechaun: Be prepared to laugh out loud as you watch Jennifer Aniston fight the evil Leprechaun in this horror cult classic. When you get to the Pogo stick and Power Wheels car scenes, you may spout tears of laughter.
Pot O’ Gold
- .75 oz Chartreuse
- .75 oz Grand Marnier
- Splash of Fever Tree Tonic Water
- Edible gold flakes and microgreen
- Instructions: Combine ingredients and mixing glass with ice and stir. Top with splash of tonic water and garnish with gold flakes and microgreen.
The Big Lebowski: The Dude + White Russians = comedy gold! Take a drink every time you hear the word ‘dude.’
White Russian/Vegan White Russian
- 1/2 Cup of Ice
- 1 Shot Kahlua
- 1 Shot Vodka
- 1 Shot Cold Brew Coffee
- 1 oz (3 parts) Fresh cream
- Instructions: Pour each ingredient over a cup of ice and enjoy.
- ** Vegan **:Substitute almond milk for fresh cream
The Gangs of New York: Leonardo DiCaprio stars as an Irish immigrant seeking revenge against his father’s killer in this bloody good drama.
- Maraschino cherry (Garnish)
- Dash Angostura Bitters
- 2 oz Rye or Canadian whiskey
- 3/4 oz Sweet Red Vermouth
- Instructions: Stirred over ice, strained into a chilled glass, garnished, and served straight up.
Bridesmaids: If Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy’s wisecracks don’t crack you up, the wedding dress shopping scene surely will. This movie is one of my favs and is currently playing on HBO!
- 2 Cups Orange Juice (not from concentrate)
- 1 Cup Pineapple Juice, Chilled
- 2 Tablespoons Grenadine
- 6 Orange Twists
- 1 (750-milliliter) Bottle Champagne or Sparkling Wine, Chilled*
- Instructions: Stir together first 3 ingredients. Pour equal parts orange juice mixture and Champagne into Champagne flutes. Garnish with orange twists.
The Departed: Leo, Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg star in this crime/ drama/thriller filled with guns, Jack Nicholson, and thick Boston accents.
Boston Tea Party
- 3/4 cup Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth
- 2 Tablespoons Sencha Green Tea Leaves (loose or tea emptied from 6 tea bags)
- 1 1/2 Cups White Rum (such as Banks 5 Island Rum)
- 5 Tablespoons St-Germain (elderflower liqueur)
- 1 Teaspoon Boston Bittahs or other bitters
- 6 Lime Twists
- Instructions: Mix vermouth and tea in a small pitcher. Let steep for 10 minutes. Pour through a fine-mesh strainer into a medium pitcher. Add 3/4 cup water, rum, St-Germain, and bitters. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour. Fill glass ‘teacups’ (punch glasses) with large ice cubes. Divide cocktail among glasses. Garnish each with a lime twist.