Playa del Rey newcomer Bacari PDR (6805 Vista Del Mar Ln., Playa Del Rey, CA 90293) has been open just over a month and I’ve heard nothing but accolades. Always game for a laid back meal in quaint PdR, I set out to find five winning dishes that make up a well-rounded, super-tasty dinner. I often find myself asking the staff what their favorite dishes are and I also ask what the people’s favorites are. We ordered a mix of this, and found five dishes we would go back for. Pair with red or white, or one of their many craft beers or fanciful cocktails, and this meal will show you why the locals have a new, affordable go-to.
(In no favorite order)
- When bread is plopped down in front of me I can usually resist filling up on it. But when it’s perfectly toasted baguette, balsamic glazed cranberries, and still-bubbling warmed goat cheese, I indulged. My eating partner actually horded the plate, keeping more for himself. (complimentary)
- I find cauliflower rather boring and am always interested in how chefs spice it up. Noa’s Cauliflower is drowned in their housemade Kronfli Bros. smoked chipotle sauce and presented on a bed of mixed greens. Voila — a creamy, spicy, memorable cauliflower dish. ($8)
- Seafood in PdR always feels right and a current seasonal dish is the Seared Scallops adorned with market corn, smashed cherry tomato, and scallions. This is a generous serving for the price: three plump, lightly charred scallops with greens trickled on top, including one of my favorite herbs, cilantro. ($12)
- The Glazed Pork Belly Skewers are proof of a chef knowing how to manage portion control. Pork belly can be too rich if over-served and these bite-sized skewers had me wanting just one more. Slow cooked with sweet mulling spices and coated in a umami reduction, with a twist of lemon, these skewers are scrumptious. ($8)
- It’s easy to get stuffed at Bacari — I didn’t even try the pizzas ($8) or cheese & salumi ($6 or 3 for $15) — so a light dessert was in order. And the Malabi Light, yet decadent, rosewater custard is doused in hibiscus flower syrup and topped with shaved coconut and ground pistachio. ($5)